Translate

Monday, August 25, 2014

To grunge or not to grunge?

Waaaay back when I first got into the miniatures hobby, I purchased the Houseworks street of shops small shop. I always loved the brick and stucco exterior of their promo photos. I have had it tucked away for years in it's box, taking it out occasionally to start, make changes and then put away. For some reason on Saturday, I pulled it out and thought, yep, I am going to just put this baby together. It was partially painted when I pulled it out of the box - the trim which is now timber was green and the door was pink. So between Sunday and Monday, I have got it this far. 


I am really happy with the exterior. The only thing I'm not sure about is the front door. I like it, but should it be blue to match the pediment? (Which, for the record, is a much less intense blue than it looks in the photo) I am thinking that a sign and other details will add some more blue.

My other question is, do I grunge up the interior just a tiny bit? It looks so pretty as it is, but this is supposed to be an older shop. I just don't want to ruin it. I will do the cabinets in the style of Lilli-ann Hamilton, if you've seen her stuff. It is much like June Clinkscales' work, gently aged, antique patina, soft. Therefore, the walls may look too stark against the furniture.



The door and window will have curtains over them when I get them done. I think I made the door too tall, so a curtain will hide it a little.

Thanks for the advice and have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. La fachada es muy bonita,yo creo que la puerta azul le daría un toque de color perfecto!!
    En cuanto al interior,creo que las paredes irán muy bien con el tipo de muebles.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! It is so interesting to see old project re-emerge after being rejected for so long. I have a similar situation in my store of half-abandoned work,too. I love the color scheme that you have chosen but If in doubt, why not paint a plain piece of card-stock the color you are considering for the door and lay it over top to see if you like it?
    Personally, I LOVE aging my minis but if you are not 100% sure, then don't do it because there is no turning back once you start.
    Keep in mind though, that aging can be to whatever degree you choose. It can be a little or like mine, A LOT! The choice is up to YOU!
    Happy Crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the exterior looks great, a little old, so perhaps the interior might also look a bit older. How to do that I don't know, you no doubt have something in mind. I agree with what Elizabeth said but you will never know unless you try it.

    ReplyDelete